Thursday 9 February 2012

Our Everyday Heroes

Well, I guess this all started when the Museum of Vancouver put out an artist call for their up and coming display "diversity in the workplace". I got an amazing idea from one of my closest friends to document an everyday hero; police, firemen, doctors, nurses... you get the gist of it, so I called like crazy to see if our local firemen where up to the task. They, of course, weren't in at the time (holidays are not a good time to get hold of Admin in any business - lol) so while I patiently waited to hear back I had taken pictures of the girl I work with every Friday and handed those photo's in.

A few weeks ago I heard back from the 'big cheese' in charge (he was rushing around getting all the permissions he needed for the go ahead - THANK YOU) and we set up a date for our photoshoot 'diversity in the workplace'. I was a little nervous because I had never been to a firehall and didn't really know what I was looking for, or what I should expect when I got there. Knowing ahead of time that I wasn't allowed to go on any ride alongs *sad face* I was hoping to capture some cool pictures of the equipment that they use, and lucky me, I also got to take pictures of them doing CPR training. Usually firemen are first on scene so this part of the job is essential!!

Here are a few of my favourite pictures from firehall 14:






 
"we are all Canucks" - love it!

 
This is where the magic happens. Where the firefighters take calls and map out routes to their location..















 OK. So a 'few' of my favourites turns out to be more than a few. I was fortunate enough to get there in time to see them doing their truck checks - making sure all equipment was in the truck and working properly, along with making sure all of their proper gear was on board, and like I said earlier, I was also fortunate enough to catch them doing CPR training and even got to hear a few calls come in over the pa system (so loud that it scared me the first time! HA!) 

Thank you so much to the team at hall 14 for working with me and making the morning fun!!




No comments:

Post a Comment